Australian English Genealogy

Descendants of Henry Angel


1. Henry Angel

Arrived in Australia as a convict on the Neptune

Member of the Hume and Hovell Expedition

5. Robert Angel

Shocking and Fatal Accident at Wagga Wagga, —On Thursday afternoon last, a shocking accident, resulting in the death of Mr. Robert Angel, occurred near the residence of Mr. Higgins, at North Wagga Wagga. From the evidence taken at the inquest and published in the Express, it appeared that on Thursday afternoon the deceased, in company with Mr. Higgins' son, John Lachlan and Messrs. Ray and Rudd, went out for a ride, the deceased riding a quiet, but rather spirited horse. The party rode rather rapidly, the deceased and Ray leading, and Rudd and young Higgins following. As deceased neared a tree he endeavoured to pull his horse off on one side of it, but the animal apparently endeavoured to pass on the other, and the result was that the unfortunate young man was crushed with terrific force against the trunk, and immediately fell senseless to the earth. Ray, who was only about fifteen yards distant from the deceased at the time of the accident, and witnessed the whole occurrence, at once rode up, and found him lying upon his face on the ground. Young Higgins had not seen the accident, as he was at that moment some distance behind, and an intervening hill obstructed the view, but, seeing the deceased's horse running riderless in the bush, he galloped on until he came upon the body of the deceased. He immediately dismounted, and raised his head from the ground, and then found that blood was oozing from his mouth, ears and nostrils, but he did not speak, and was quite insensible. Finding that he had been seriously injured, he was raised into a sitting posture) and young Higgins rode home, and returning with a buggy, the deceased was lifted in and conveyed to his house, and a messenger was then despatched into Wagga Wagga for a doctor. The deceased never spoke after the accident, and before the arrival of Dr. Lyons, expired. At the inquest held on the remains, Dr Lyons stated that he had examined the body carefully but could detect no contusions or fractured bones, and believed death to have been caused by a fracture of the base of the skull with laceration of the sinuses at the base of the brain. The jury returned a verdict of accidental death, caused by coming in contact with a tree whilst riding. The deceased was a young man of twenty-eight years of age, and was highly respected in the district.

Source: Evening News 24 May 1870