Trace your family tree - Australian and English family trees
1. John1 Sherwood, born 1776 in Millbrook Bedford England; died 1850 in Kurrajong NSW, son of Joseph Sherwood and Sarah Austin. He married Ann Lane born 1778 in Bristol Glouc England; died 1858 in Kurrajong NSW.
Notes for John Sherwood (Shearwood)
Convicted at Lidlington, Bedford of sheep stealing, along with John Crawley and William Pepper. Arrived on Glatton. John Crawley also arrived on Glatton. William Pepper was hanged.
Notes for Ann Lane
In 1806 convicted at Surrey of stealing clothing.. Arrived on Speke
Children of John Sherwood and Ann Lane were as follows:
2 i Joseph
+ 3 ii Mary2 Sherwood, born 1813 in Richmond ; died 1881 in Agnes Banks NSW. She married John Green.
+ 4 iii Sarah2 Sherwood, born 1816 in Richmond ; died 1860. She married (1)James Douglas (2) Richard Sculthorpe. (Skuthorp, Scuthorp)
5 iv Anne2 Sherwood, born 1820; died 1839 in died in childbirth. She married in 1838 Edward Wilson, born 1816 in Castlereagh NSW; died 1902 in Kurrajong NSW, son of Job Wilson and Elizabeth Ann Rogers.
+ 6 v Thomas2 Sherwood, born 1824; died 1891 in Oakey Creek NSW. He married Hannah Ailsie Crump.
+ 7 vi James2 Shearwood, born 1826; died 1861 in Freeman's Reach. He married Matilda Gosper;.
+ 8 vii Hannah2 Shearwood, born 1818; died 1884 in Orange NSW. She married (1) Michael Hennessy; (2) James Hennessy.
3. Mary2 Sherwood (John1), born 1813 in Richmond ; died 1881 in Agnes Banks. She married in 1831 in Richmond John Green.
Children of Mary Sherwood and John Green were as follows:
9 i Mary
10 ii Sarah3 Green, born 1848. She married in 1863 William Hennessy, born 1843, son of Michael Hennessy and Hannah Shearwood.
11 iii Hannah3 Green, born 1853.
12 iv Ann3 Green, born 1856.
13 v Joseph3 Green, born 1859.
4. Sarah2 Shearwood (John1), born 1816 in Richmond NSW; died 1860. She married (1) in 1836 in Richmond James Douglas, son of Joseph Douglas (Convict - Baring) and Mary Orr Burgess; (2) in 1858 Richard Skuthorp, born 1792; died 1880 in Kurrajong. Richard was the son of Richard Skuthorp (Convict - General Hewitt) and Ellen Connor (arrived free).
Children of Sarah Shearwood and James Douglas were as follows:
14 i Sarah
15 ii Mary3 Douglas, born 1839.
16 iii Ann Jane3 Douglas, born 1841.
17 iv Hannah3 Douglas, born in 1842.
18 v James3 Douglas, born 1848.
19 vi John3 Douglas, born 1850.
20 vii Burgess3 Douglass, born 1853. He married in 1902 in Richmond Gertrude May Richardson, born 1880 in Richmond, daughter of James Richardson and Sarah Merrick.
6. Thomas2 Sherwood (John1), born 1824; died 1891 in Oakey Creek NSW. He married in 1846 in Richmond Hannah Ailsie Crump, born 1825 in NSW; died 1901 in Orange NSW, daughter of Thomas Crump and Mary Johnston.
Children of Thomas Sherwood and Hannah Ailsie Crump were as follows:
21 i James
22 ii Charles Thomas3 Sherwood, born 1846.
23 iii Mary A3 Sherwood, born 1848. She married in 1876 in Sydney Thomas Ray, born 1851.
24 iv Joseph3 Sherwood, born 1850 in Richmond.
25 v George3 Sherwood, born 1852 in Richmond.
+ 26 vi Emma3 Sherwood, born 1854 in Richmond. She married Charles A Davis.
27 vii Henry3 Sherwood, born 1856.
+ 28 viii William3 Shearwood, born 1858 in Mt Tomah NSW; died 1922 in Cargo NSW. He married Emma Amelia Sharp.
29 ix Elizabeth3 Sherwood, born 1860 in Richmond.
+ 30 x Peter3 Shearwood, born 1862 in Richmond. He married Mary A Hawley.
+ 31 xi Andrew J3 Shearwood, born 1864 in Richmond. He married Lucinda Hawley.
32 xii Sarah3 Sherwood, born 1867 in Richmond.
33 xiii Ada3 Sherwood, born 1871.
7. James2 Shearwood (John1), born 1826; died 1861 in Freeman's Reach. He married in 1853 in Colo NSW Matilda Gosper, born 1831 in Hawkesbury NSW; died 1916 in Richmond, daughter of Joseph Gosper and Ann Marsden. Matilda's grandparents were Thomas Gosper (Convict - Surprize) and Mary Ann Hipwell (Convict - Mary Ann).
Children of James Shearwood and Matilda Gosper were as follows:
+ 34 i John
+ 35 ii Jane3 Sherwood, born 1856 in Windsor; died 1931. She married Frederick Gates.
36 iii James3 Shearwood, born 1858 in Windsor; died 1930 in Windsor.
+ 37 iv Emily Ann3 Sherwood, born 1860 in Richmond; died 1948 in Auburn. She married James Thompson.
8. Hannah2 Shearwood (John1), born 1818; died 1884 in Orange NSW. She married (1) in 1836 in Richmond Michael Hennessy, born in Ireland; died 1859 in Kurrajong, son of Andrew Hennessy and Bridget Newman; (2) in 1863 James Hennessy, born 1813 in Ireland, son of Richard Hennessy and Johanna Sweeney.
Notes for Michael Hennessy
Immigrated circa 1830
Notes for James Hennessy
Immigrated in 1840
Children of Hannah Shearwood and Michael Hennessy were as follows:
+ 38 i Thomas
39 ii Sarah3 Hennessy.
40 iii William3 Hennessy, born 1843. He married in 1863 Sarah Green, born 1848, daughter of John Green and Mary Sherwood.
41 iv Mary3 Hennessy, born 1845.
42 v Hannah3 Hennessy, born 1846.
43 vi Johanna3 Hennessy, born 1847.
44 vii Michael3 Hennessy, born 1849.
45 viii Ellen3 Hennessy, born 1852.
46 ix Margaret3 Hennessy, born 1854.
47 x John3 Hennessy, born 1858.
48 xi Ann Frances3 Hennessy, born 1859.
26. Emma3 Sherwood (Thomas2, John1), born 1854 in Richmond. She married in 1893 in Glebe Charles A Davis.
Children of Emma Sherwood and Charles A Davis were as follows:
49 i Sylvia E
28. William3 Shearwood (Thomas2, John1), born 1858 in Mt Tomah NSW; died 1922 in Cargo NSW. He married Emma Amelia Sharp, born 1865; died 1954 in Canowindra NSW, daughter of William Sharp and Louisa (---).
Children of William Shearwood and Emma Amelia Sharp were as follows:
50 i Gladys Hilda
30. Peter3 Shearwood (Thomas2, John1), born 1862 in Richmond. He married in 1886 in Forbes Mary A Hawley.
Children of Peter Shearwood and Mary A Hawley were as follows:
51 i Lucinda A
52 ii Elizabeth A4 Shearwood, born 1889 in Dubbo. She married in 1913 in NarromineNSW David B Frater.
53 iii Violet M4 Shearwood, born 1891 in Dubbo. She married in 1916 in Dubbo Andrew G Peck.
31. Andrew J3 Shearwood (Thomas2, John1), born 1864 in Richmond. He married in 1890 in Molong Lucinda Hawley, born 1872 in Tambaroora NSW, daughter of James Hawley and Ann Toone.
Children of Andrew J Shearwood and Lucinda Hawley were as follows:
54 i Mary A
34. John3 Sherwood (James2, John1), born 1854; died 1936 in Barraba NSW. He married in 1881 in Richmond Sarah Richardson, born 1859 in Richmond; died 1943 in Barraba NSW, daughter of James Richardson and Sarah Merrick.
Children of John Sherwood and Sarah Richardson were as follows:
+ 55 i Walter James
56 ii Leslie4 Sherwood, born 1883 in Richmond; died 1934 in Ryde.
57 iii Arthur4 Sherwood, born 1885 in Richmond; died 1967 in Burwood.
58 iv Hilda Sarah Matilda4 Sherwood, born 1887 in Richmond; died 1958 in Hornsby. She married in 1914 in Orange Paul J Jeanmaire.
59 v Linda May4 Sherwood, born 1888 in Richmond; died 1889.
60 vi John4 Sherwood, born 1889 in Richmond.
61 vii Janet4 Sherwood, born 1891. She married in 1912 in Barraba NSW Daniel V Clifton.
62 viii Emily4 Sherwood, born 1893 in Richmond.
63 ix Frederick4 Sherwood, born 1894 in Richmond. He married in 1921 in Barraba NSW Rachel E Myers.
64 x Colin Bruce4 Sherwood, born 1897 in Richmond; died 1967 in Hamilton. He married in 1922 in Barraba Vera M Kennedy;
65 xi Harold Gordon4 Sherwood, born 1899 in Richmond; died 1954 in Ashfield.
35. Jane3 Sherwood (James2, John1), born 1856 in Windsor; died 1931. She married in 1876 in Sydney Frederick Gates, born 1858 in Patricks Plains, son of Edward Gates and Nancy (---).
Children of Jane Sherwood and Frederick Gates were as follows:
66 i George
67 ii Frederick Charles4 Gates, born 1880 in Paddington; died 1969 in Parramatta.
68 iii Willie Sherwood4 Gates, born 1883 in Central Cumberland; died 1956 in Parramatta.
69 iv Frank4 Gates, born 1885 in Central Cumberland; died 1972 in St Leonards.
37. Emily Ann3 Sherwood (James2, John1), born 1860 in Richmond; died 1948 in Auburn. She married in 1883 in Sydney James Thompson.
Children of Emily Ann Sherwood and James Thompson were as follows:
70 i James
71 ii Frances G4 Thompson, born 1888.
38. Thomas3 Hennessy (Hannah2 Shearwood, John1), born 1835 in North Richmond; died 1890 in Orange. He married in 1867 in Richmond NSW Phoebe Jane Wilson, born 1849; died 1926 in Lithgow, daughter of Edward Wilson and Susannah Riley.
Children of Thomas Hennessy and Phoebe Jane Wilson were as follows:
+ 72 i Alvina M
+ 73 ii Alice Jane4 Hennessy, born 1870. She married Job Wiseby Wilson.
+ 74 iii Ada4 Hennessy, born 1872. She married Andrew John Gardiner.
75 iv Agnes4 Hennessy, born 1874. She married (1) unknown; (2) unknown; (3) unknown; (4) in 1919 in Orange Thomas J O'Shea.
76 v Ellen4 Hennessy, born 1876. He married unknown.
77 vi Susanna4 Hennessy, born 1878. She married in 1898 in Wellington NSW Michael McManus.
78 vii Thomas4 Hennessy, born 1880. He married Alfena Osbourne.
79 viii Selina Grace4 Hennessy, born 1883. She married (1) in 1907 in Lithgow Joseph K Hepple; (2) in 1918 in Lithgow James Roberts.
80 ix Darcy Harold4 Hennessy, born 1886. He married Emily Hamerton.
81 x Percy Reginald4 Hennessy, born 1886; died 1959 in Orange. He married Ethel Hamerton.
82 xi Stella Ann4 Hennessy, born 1889. She married in 1911 in Orange Archibald Tinnock.
55. Walter James4 Sherwood (John3, James2, John1), born 1882 in Richmond; died 1962. He married in 1910 in Merriwa NSW Anastasia Cicily Cronin, born 1889 in Merriwa; died 1950 in Lambton, daughter of Thomas Cronin and Hanorah Agnes Burke.
Children of Walter James Sherwood and Anastasia Cicily Cronin were as follows:
83 i James Frederick
84 ii Clement Richardson5 Sherwood.
85 iii Joseph Walter5 Sherwood, born 1911 in Merriwa NSW; died 1954 As Walter Joseph in Bowral NSW.
+ 86 iv Daniel5 Sherwood, born 1912 in Merriwa NSW; died 1997 in Tamworth. He married Doris Pearl Choice.
87 v Phyllis Anastasia5 Sherwood, born 1913 in Bingara; died 1982 in Lenah Valley Tas. She married in 1945 in Sydney Herbert Malcolm Stephens, born 1905 in Ashfield?, son of Herbert F? Stephens.
+ 88 vi John Edward5 Sherwood, born 1917 in Bingara; died 1991 in Windsor. He married Edith Olive Jones.
72. Alvina M4 Hennessy (Thomas3, Hannah2 Shearwood, John1), born 1868 in Richmond. She married in 1887 in Orange Cornelius Collins.
Children of Alvina M Hennessy and Cornelius Collins were as follows:
89 i Margaret
90 ii Agnes C5 Collins, born 1889 in Orange.
91 iii John L5 Collins, born 1901 in Orange.
92 iv Kathleen M5 Collins, born 1893 in Orange. She married in 1936 in Marrickville Wilfred Ernest Harold Todkill.
93 v Alfred B5 Collins, born 1895 in Orange.
94 vi Cornelius C5 Collins, born 1897 in Orange.
95 vii Mary C I5 Collins, born 1899 in Orange.
73. Alice Jane4 Hennessy (Thomas3, Hannah2 Shearwood, John1), born 1870. She married in 1896 in Kurrajong NSW Job Wiseby Wilson, born 1867 in Richmond, son of Thomas Wilson and Hannah Cooper (Douglas)?.
Children of Alice Jane Hennessy and Job Wiseby Wilson were as follows:
96 i Maggie D
97 ii Michael T5 Wilson, born 1898 in Richmond.
98 iii Hannah D5 Wilson, born 1900 in Richmond.
74. Ada4 Hennessy (Thomas3, Hannah2 Shearwood, John1), born 1872. She married in 1896 in Orange Andrew John Gardiner.
Children of Ada Hennessy and Andrew John Gardiner were as follows:
99 i Ruby E J
100 ii Doris L K5 Gardiner, born 1905 in Lithgow. She married in 1927 in Sydney Joseph E Treglown.
86. Daniel5 Sherwood (Walter James4, John3, James2, John1), born 1912 in Merriwa NSW; died 1997 in Tamworth. He married in 1936 in Bingara Doris Pearl Choice, born 1915 in Bingara; died 2003 in Tamworth, daughter of John Thomas Choice and Rosina (Rose) Gaudern.
Children of Daniel Sherwood and Doris Pearl Choice were as follows:
Living people - details hidden.
88. John Edward5 Sherwood (Walter James4, John3, James2, John1), born 1917 in Bingara; died 1991 in Windsor. He married Edith Olive Jones, born 1921 in Islington; died 1992 in Mt Druitt.
Children of John Edward Sherwood and Edith Olive Jones were as follows:
Living - details hidden.
Generation 6 and Generation 7