John Mernagh and Mary Johnson
John was born in 1770 in Balinaskea, Glenmalure, Wicklow, Ireland.
He died in 1857 in Braidwood, NSW.
Member of United Irishmen and organisation which brought together
Catholics and Protestants to free Ireland from English tyranny. John
fought in many battles. He was captured in 1804 and exiled to NSW
for life. He arrived in NSW as a State Prisoner in 1806 on the 'Tellecherri'.
John was granted 100 acres at Liverpool and by1807 had established
an inn at Parramatta.
In 1809 John was living in the Hawkesbury River area when he
fathered two children to Mary Johnson (convict/teacher).
By 1817, John held 600 acres of land in the Georges River area and
became the second depositer of the Bank of NSW.